The Orthodox Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
The Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary was built in 1909 and was built of brick and stone. The building is of modest dimensions and the features and influence of the Serbian-Byzantine style of building church buildings are noticeable on it. The development of the church begins with the development of the municipality of Pale, which set some of the basic guidelines for the development of the urban matrix of the municipality. The initiative and merits for the construction of the church belong to the first priest from Pale, Đorđe Grabež, and the church-school board of the time. Preparations for the construction began in 1904, when construction materials began to be procured and voluntary financial contributions were collected. The consecration of the foundations was performed on July 12, 1908, on the Christian holiday of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul – St. Peter’s Day. About 1000 people attended the consecration of the foundations, and even today, the celebration is traditionally held on that day. Despite the great material difficulties that existed during the construction of the church, the works were successfully completed.
The church in Pale was consecrated in 1909 on the Orthodox holiday of the Beheading of St. John the Baptist. On that day, a celebration is held every year in Pale. During the First World War, Austro-Hungarian soldiers imprisoned horses in the church, and the church bell was removed and taken to the smelter. A monument to 72 victims of Austro-Hungarian terror was erected in the churchyard. A stone from the tomb of King Peter I the Liberator was placed on the pedestal of the monument. The place is visibly marked, and the stone is carved in a marble slab, so that the bones of those who sacrificed their lives for the King and the Fatherland are symbolically united. And in World War II the church suffered damage. The church archives were completely burned and destroyed, as well as the registry books, church items, liturgical books and the inventory of the church. The monument to the victims of the First World War was destroyed, and the home of the victims was turned into an Ustasha command. Nevertheless, the Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary survived despite all the misfortunes, and even today it is the central gathering place of people from Pale.
The Church of the Council of the Holy Archangel Gabriel
The Church of the Council of the Holy Archangel Gabriel is located in the center of Pale and forms a unique whole with the Student Square. The church is still under construction, which began in 2008, and its construction is, above all, an expression of God’s will and the will of the God-inspired people of this region, who expressed the urgent need to build a larger cathedral in Pale. The initiating idea of building such a temple began during the war, and a building committee was established. However, due to various political events after the end of the war, this idea was temporarily abandoned. The idea was re-initiated by the Most Reverend Metropolitan of Dabro-Bosnia, Mr. Nikolaj, with whose blessing its practical realization began. The land on which the Cathedral is built was consecrated on July 26, 2008, on the day of the Assembly of the Holy Archangel Gabriel. After the Holy Hierarch’s Liturgy, the land was consecrated by the Most Reverend Metropolitan of Dabro-Bosnia, Mr. Nikolaj.
The Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Mokro
The oldest information about the parish of Mokro dates from 1868, and the parish home was built in 1895. The construction of the Church of the Assumption of the Most Holy Mother of God in Mokro began in 1928. The church was completed in 1933, when it was consecrated by Metropolitan Petar (Zimonjić). During the Second World War, the temple was badly damaged, and the parish home was demolished by the communists in 1948. Repairs to the church were made in 1972 and 1985. The parish of Mokro has two more churches – in Vučija Luka, dedicated to St. Panteleimon, and in Ravna Romania, dedicated to the Holy Great Martyr George.
The Church of the Ascension of the Lord in Podgrab
The Church of the Ascension is located in Podgrab, and was built in the Serbian-Byzantine style, 17×8 meters. The works on the construction of this church began in 1997, and the foundations were consecrated on June 8, 1998. On September 9, 2001, on the Day of Serbian Saints, the church was consecrated by Metropolitan Nikolaj of Dabro-Bosnia and Bishops Filaret Mileševski, Grigorije Zahumsko-Hercegovački and Joanikije Budimljansko-Nikšićki, together with several priests and deacons.
The Church of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul in Prača
The Church of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul in Prača was built in 1908 and consecrated by Metropolitan Evgenije. The glory of this temple is St. Peter’s Day, which is celebrated on July 12. In addition to St. Peter’s Day, the Cathedral Day is also the Exaltation of the Holy Cross – the Day of the Cross. This temple remained in the BH Federation after the Dayton Peace Agreement.
The Church of of the Holy Prophet Elijah on Trebević
The Church of the Holy Prophet Elijah was built in the village of Luka on Trebević. The church was built in 1943, and by the decision of the Regional Board of the Communist Party, it was demolished in 1955. Construction began again in 1993, and the church was consecrated in 1996 by Metropolitan Nikolaj. Cathedral Day of the church is the first Sunday after St. Elijah Day. The road to this wooden church was asphalted in 2011.
The Church of the Holy Great Martyr Panteleimon on Vučija Luka
The church of the Holy Great Martyr Panteleimon on Vučija Luka belongs to the parish of Mokro. The construction of the church began in 1996, and it was consecrated on August 10, 2002. A parish home was built next to the church, as well as a chapel in which 99 names of fallen Republic of Srpska soldiers from this area are inscribed.
The Church of the Holy Great Martyr Geroge on Ravna Romanija – Sokolica
The construction of the Church of the Holy Great Martyr George in Ravna Romanija began in 1996, the church was consecrated in 2002, and the works were fully completed in 2003. Two years later, this church was declared a monastery and was named Sokolica. The walls of the Monastery of the Holy Great Martyr George are covered with memorial plaques on which are engraved the names of 4,000 soldiers from the municipalities of the Sarajevo-Romanija region who died in the Defensive-Patriotic War. In addition to the names of the soldiers of the Army of the Republic of Srpska, the memorial plaques also contain the names of Thessaloniki volunteers, as well as the names of Serbian hajduks from this area. Among others, the name of Starina Novak is engraved. The church was consecrated by Metropolitan Nikolaj of Dabro-Bosnia and the church community and parish of Ravna Romanija was established. In the gate of the church there is a chapel dedicated to St. Peter Zimonjic.
The Catholic Church of St. Joseph the Worker
The Church of St. Joseph is a Roman Catholic parish church located in Pale. That church is the only Catholic place of worship in the Sarajevo-Romanija region. It was built in 1911 due to the arrival of a large number of Catholics in this area when Austria-Hungary occupied Bosnia and Herzegovina. The church itself was built in a mountain style and is unique in the territory of the Vrhbosna Archdiocese, because it is the only church that is completely built of wood. The church is on the list of national monuments of Bosnia and Herzegovina. Neither during the Defense and Patriotic War, nor after it, were there any attacks on this religious building, nor on the Catholic inhabitants themselves.
Mosque in Podvitez
The first mosque in the area of the local community Podvitez was from the 16th century. The following mosque was in Gornji Koladići, from where it was moved to its present location. In the seventies of the twentieth century, a tufa mosque was built, and it was demolished during the Defense and Patriotic War of 1992-1995. In 2006, an initiative committee was formed for the reconstruction and construction of the mosque in Podvitez on the same foundations. The mosque was renovated and inaugurated in 2009 thanks to numerous donations from the Islamic Community, the Municipality of Pale and the Municipality of Prača.